Apply for an Educator License


Fingerprinting, Background Check, and Educator Ethics Review

Most licensing processes require you to complete a background check and an online review of the ethical rules for educators.

Go to the Utah State Board of Education Educator Licensing Online to complete the following:

  • Initiate a Utah State Board of Education Background Fingerprint Check
  • Educator Ethics Review

Please refer to the Educator Records section of this website for more information regarding fingerprinting.

Associate Educator License (AEL)

The AEL is available for anyone who wants to teach in Utah but has not completed an educator preparation program (university-based or alternate program). The associate educator license is intended for:

  • Individuals who have been hired to teach in Utah schools before they have completed the requirements of a Utah professional teaching license, or
  • Individuals who do not currently hold a Utah professional teaching license but would like to teach in Utah while they are working towards a professional educator license.

The AEL is a temporary, non-transferable license that is good for three (3) years.

The following documents outline the requirements for obtaining an AEL in Elementary (Grades K-8), Early Childhood (Grades PreK-3), Secondary (Grades 6-12), Career and Technical Education (Grades 6-12), Special Education (Grades K-12+), and Preschool Special Education (PreK-5).

Google Docs

Associate Educator License (AEL) Requirements for Career and Technical Education (Grades 6-12)

Associate Educator License (AEL) Requirements for Early Childhood (PreK-3)

Associate Educator License (AEL) Requirements for Elementary (K-8)

Associate Educator License (AEL) Requirements for Preschool Special Education (Birth-Age 5) 

Associate Educator License (AEL) Requirements for School Social Worker (SSW)

Associate Educator License (AEL) Requirements for Secondary (6-12)

Associate Educator License (AEL) Requirements for Special Education (K-12+)


SpEd Law Training Required for LEA-Specific and Associate SpEd License Areas 


Application for Associate Educator License 

For questions about the AEL process, please contact us at

Out-of-State (OOS)

If you have a standard renewable educator license from another state or country and would like to apply for a Utah Educator License, please read the following step by step instructions to prepare your OOS application packet for submission to Utah State Board of Education for review.

Please use the OOS Licence Application Checklist to prepare and submit your application.

Out-of-State (OOS) License Application Checklist
Google Docs


Verification of Educator Experience

Note: Educators coming from out of the country with a different language spoken, the university degree in a foreign speaking country only counts for the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). Educators (candidates) still need to take the Praxis, unless your degree major was the actual language (Chinese, Spanish, etc.)."

If you have any questions, please contact the department at

Educator Tests

The Utah State Board of Education requires each applicant who applies for a Utah Educator License to pass an appropriate content knowledge test for the area they are seeking. Unless otherwise noted, all tests are PRAXIS tests administered by Educational Testing Services (ETS).

Utah State Licensure Test Requirements

Starting August 1, 2021, a pedagogical performance assessment will be required for a Professional Educator License in Utah. The following PPAs are approved by the Utah State Board of Education.

Pedagogical Performance Assessment (Flyer)

About edTPA 

The PPAT® Assessment from ETS
ETS Performance Assessments


Out-of-State Testing Equivalency

Administrative (Leadership) License

To add an Administrative license area, you will need to submit the following to the Utah State Board of Education (USBE):

Your out-of-state experience can be reported and submitted to USBE. Have your school district complete the Verification of Educator Experience form (per district or per charter school). Please be sure to include your Comprehensive Administration of Credentials for Teachers in Utah Schools (CACTUS) Identification number on the form to help us document the information.

University Recommends

Utah University Recommendation

The information below is for individuals who have completed an education preparation degree program through a Utah college/university and are ready to apply for a Utah Educator License, please read the following step-by-step instructions to obtain your standard Utah Educator License.

  1. Complete a Utah Educator Ethics Review at Educator Licensing Online, within one calendar year of being recommended for a Utah Educator License.
    1. To retrieve your Comprehensive Administration of Credentials for Teachers in Utah Schools (CACTUS) number:
      1. Login to your Utah Education Network (UEN) account at my.uen and go to your personal page.
      2. Use the CACTUS tool to retrieve your number.
  2. Complete the process at Educator Licensing Online for University Recommendation to receive a copy of your Educator License via e-mail. It can take up to 24 hours for an e-mail to be sent with a copy of your license attached.