Apply for an Educator License


Fingerprinting, Background Check, and Educator Ethics Review

Most licensing processes require you to complete a background check and an online review of the ethical rules for educators.

Go to the Utah State Board of Education Educator Licensing Online to complete the following:

  • Initiate a Utah State Board of Education Background Fingerprint Check
  • Educator Ethics Review

Please refer to the Educator Records section of this website for more information regarding fingerprinting.

Associate Educator License (AEL)

The AEL is for anyone who wants to become a Utah teacher, but has not completed an educator preparation program (university-based or alternate program). Please be aware that an AEL is a temporary, non-transferable license.

If you hold a Utah Teaching License and wish to add a new license area to your license, please fill out the application on number 6.

1. Initiate a Utah State Board of Education Background Fingerprint Check at Educator Licensing Online.

  • Choose the Initial Licensing option.

2. To obtain a Comprehensive Administration of Credentials for Teachers in Utah Schools (CACTUS) number.

  • Go to my.uen to register for a Utah Education Network (UEN) account at least 24 hours after initiating a background/fingerprint check.
  • Login to your UEN account and go to your personal page.
  • Use the CACTUS tool to retrieve your number.

If you are currently enrolled in a Utah university program, please complete the Utah Associate Educator License Application: Enrolled in University Program application. Please contact your University Licensing Department to request that the University verify that you are enrolled in their Education Preparation Program. You do not need to do the rest of the steps.

If you are not currently enrolled in a program, please do the following:

3. Enroll in Associate Educator License Modules and complete all four Canvas courses. 

4. Submit original transcripts of all colleges/universities you have attended:

5. Content Knowledge Assessment.

  • Have a major in the field in which you are seeking licensure. Secondary or Career and Technical Education (CTE) license areas only; or
  • pass the appropriate Educational Testing Service (ETS). For a list of tests for Utah, please review the Utah State Licensure Test Requirements.
    Note: Praxis Number 5001 is the required test for Elementary Education. The AEL process does not support the Early Childhood License
  • Refer to the Utah State Board of Education CTE Educator Endorsements.

6. After you have fulfilled the above steps, complete the Utah Associate Educator License Application Google Docs.

The Utah State Board of Education will send an e-mail notification confirming the submission of your application. Please allow for approximately 4-6 weeks to process your application. 

Next Steps: Per Utah State Code, you can seek out a teaching position now while we process your AEL Application. If you are not enrolled in a University-Based Program, then you’ll need to gain employment with a Local Education Agency (LEA) that is an Alternate Pathway to Professional Educator License (APPEL) Provider:

For questions about the AEL process, please contact us at

Out-of-State (OOS)

If you have a standard renewable educator license from another state or country and would like to apply for a Utah Educator License, please read the following step by step instructions to prepare your OOS application packet for submission to Utah State Board of Education for review.

Please use the OOS Licence Application Checklist to prepare and submit your application.

Out-of-State (OOS) License Application Checklist
Google Docs


Verification of Educator Experience

Note: Educators coming from out of the country with a different language spoken, the university degree in a foreign speaking country only counts for the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). Educators (candidates) still need to take the Praxis, unless your degree major was the actual language (Chinese, Spanish, etc.)."

If you have any questions, please contact the department at


Transcripts submitted with an application to the Utah State Board of Education must be original, which can be paper or electronic.

Original (paper) Transcripts

Sealed transcripts in the university envelope are not required, but the documents must be original on the college/university scrip-safe paper. Photocopies or transcripts you have electronically received and printed will not be accepted. Send paper transcripts to:

Utah State Board of Education
PO Box 144200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4200

Please include a self-addressed envelope if you would like the transcript(s) returned by mail. No postage necessary.

Electronic Transcripts

Utah State Board of Education accepts electronic transcripts as long as those are submitted directly from the college/university Clearinghouse (transcript service) to Transcripts should be e-mailed before you submit your application, and your application should indicate in which method the transcripts were submitted and from which college/university. If your college/university is not set up to send transcripts through a clearinghouse you will need to mail an original paper transcript with your application packet to Utah State Board of Education.

Educator Tests

The Utah State Board of Education requires each applicant who applies for a Utah Educator License to pass an appropriate content knowledge test for the area they are seeking. Unless otherwise noted, all tests are PRAXIS tests administered by Educational Testing Services (ETS).

Utah State Licensure Test Requirements

Starting August 1, 2021, a pedagogical performance assessment will be required for a Professional Educator License in Utah. The following PPAs are approved by the Utah State Board of Education.

Pedagogical Performance Assessment (Flyer)

About edTPA 

The PPAT® Assessment from ETS
ETS Performance Assessments


Out-of-State Testing Equivalency

University Recommends

Utah University Recommendation

The information below is for individuals who have completed an education preparation degree program through a Utah college/university and are ready to apply for a Utah Educator License, please read the following step-by-step instructions to obtain your standard Utah Educator License.

  1. Complete a Utah Educator Ethics Review at Educator Licensing Online, within one calendar year of being recommended for a Utah Educator License.
    1. To retrieve your Comprehensive Administration of Credentials for Teachers in Utah Schools (CACTUS) number:
      1. Login to your Utah Education Network (UEN) account at my.uen and go to your personal page.
      2. Use the CACTUS tool to retrieve your number.
  2. Complete the process at Educator Licensing Online for University Recommendation to receive a copy of your Educator License via e-mail. It can take up to 24 hours for an e-mail to be sent with a copy of your license attached.