Welcome to Data and Statistics
The Utah State Board of Education collects and evaluates education data. The Data and Statistics department is primarily responsible for data quality and analyzing data related to education in Utah and supports the Board's strategic plan for excellence for each student by reviewing and auditing the states data collection, and compiles and analyzes a wide variety of information about schools, student progress, graduation rates, school districts, and other useful statistics and reports on the condition of Utah's education.
Data and Statistics Programs
Below is a list of programs that the Data and Statistics department manages.
For data quality, accuracy, consistency, etc.:
- Accountability indicators: Grading Utah Schools (GUS)
- Data Warehouse Tables
- Prepare Young Learners, Access for all Students, Complete Certificates and Degrees, Economic Alignment (PACE)
- Student Federal Accountability Report (SFAR)
- Uniform Growth Goal (UGG)/Reading on Grade Level (ROGL), etc, used in all required and ad hoc reporting about students.
- Utah eTranscript and Record Exchange (UTREX) Data Submissions
Comprehensive Administration of Credentials for Teachers in Utah Schools (CACTUS)
Maintenance of school directory and program participation tables used by all agency
Note: Directory data is prerequisite to all other EDFacts file submissions.
Data analysis tools and training for Local Education Agencies (LEAs); data dissemination via interactive statistical reports for the public; data collection via surveys from the LEAs.
Leadership and staffing of state student data Policy, Governance, and Users advisory groups; guidance and technical assistance to LEAs implementing local data governance; leadership and training of internal Data Stewards Group.
Example: Utah Education Policy Center (UEPC)
Example: United Way
Federal Statistical Agencies
Example: Education Information Management Advisory Collaborative (EIMAC)
Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO)
Example: Utah's Intergenerational Poverty (IGP) Initiative
Department of Workforce Services
Example: Department of Workforce Services
Reporting of Educational Statistics to Federal Government:
- File Specifications
United States Department of Education
Graduation and Dropout Rates
Operational definition, calculation and publishing of:
- Dropout Rate: Cohort
- Dropout Rate: Single Year (Event)
- Dropout Rate: Office of Special Education (OSEP) Defined
- Graduation Rate: Cohort
- Graduation Rate: OSEP Defined
- Graduation Rate: GUS Defined Indicator, Grade 9 Proxy Rate for Dropout Recovery Program