Educator Endorsements

Application Process

There are two parts to the application process.

Background Check

Qualified candidates for licensure must first complete a criminal background check. Candidates pay fees and receive an authorization form at Educator Background Check.


Complete the related endorsement application(s). Each program has specific applications; make sure to use the correct application(s). Do not leave any information categories blank. Attach the supporting documentation such as official college transcripts, letters to verify employment (do not send letters of reference or resumes), test scores, copies of current professional licenses or other documentation requested by the state specialist.

The following endorsements are available for licensed educators seeking to teach Information Technology Education courses:

Getting Started

As you get started with the licensing process, there are two distinct components of which you need to be aware to keep you on track. You need both components to teach Career and Technical Education courses.


A license is an authorization issued by the Utah State Board of Education that permits the holder to serve in a professional capacity in the public education system or an accredited private school.


An endorsement is a specialty field or area earned through course work equivalent to at least an academic minor or through demonstrated competency. Endorsements are listed on the Professional Educator License indicating the specific qualification(s) of the holder.

Routes to Licensure

There are several ways to earn a Professional Educator License.

1. University Teacher Preparation Program

The traditional route to earning a Professional Educator License. A license is issued to an individual who completes a university teacher preparation program. Contact the university teacher preparation program for more information.

2. Alternative Routes to Licensure (ARL)
Utah State Board of Education Educator Licensing

A teacher preparation program for individuals who currently hold a bachelor’s degree or have a combination of work experience and education.

    1. Bachelor’s Degree
      Applicants have a degree major in a subject taught in Utah secondary schools.
    2. Non-Bachelor’s Degree
      Applicants have work experience in related CTE area.
    3. CTE Specialty
      Applicants have valid industry license in related CTE area.

Endorsement and State Approved Endorsement Plan (SAEP)

There are two ways in which to earn an endorsement.


Endorsements are requested when a licensed educator wants the authorization to teach outside his/her current endorsement area(s). All endorsement requirements should be completed before the application is submitted. 


A State Approved Endorsement Plan (SAEP) is requested by an educator or district when that district has assigned the educator to teach outside of his/her endorsement area(s). The educator must have at least nine semester hours of related course work and/or two years of related work experience and complete the endorsement requirements within the time frame identified in the plan.