State Education Research File (SERF)
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why can't I open the file?
- There are various reasons why you would not be able to open the file. First, the file is in Microsoft Access format. The computer you use to open the file must have Microsoft Access 2007 installed. If you do not have Microsoft Access 2007, but have an earlier version of Microsoft Access, please robert [dot] nicholson [at] schools [dot] utah [dot] gov (email).
2. Where can I find a description of all the data?
- Click here for the location of the data dictionary for SERF.
3. What do I do with the ELL Auto Exit Query?
- The results of the ELL Auto Exit Query can be exported to a spreadsheet. When that spreadsheet is created the LEA may then use it to indicate which students should enter monitoring. The file can then be uploaded to the Utah State Office of Education (USOE) secure server. Please upload these files to the "Warehouse/upload" directory. Click here for more information.