Utah Special Education Advisory Panel (USEAP)
USEAP is an advisory panel appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. The focus of the panel is issues involving the education of students with disabilities.
- Advise the Utah State Office of Education (USOE) of unmet needs within the State in the education of students with disabilities.
- Comment publicly on any rules or regulations proposed for issuance by the State regarding the education of students with disabilities.
- Advise the USOE in developing evaluations and reporting on data to the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education under Section 618 of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Advise the USOE in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in Federal monitoring reports under Part B of the IDEA.
- Advise the USOE in developing and implementing policies relating to the coordination of services for students with disabilities.
- Review and comment on completed due process hearing findings.
- Issues surrounding youth in custody, including facilitating sharing of information between agencies and the identification of disabilities for this population. Connections will be made with early intervention/early identification.
- Collaboration between general and special education with a focus on access to general education curriculum and effective instruction, particularly in math as this was an area deemed a priority. This will also include a discussion of Multi-Tiered System of Supports (UMTSS) and early intervention/identification. Discussion will also include improving expectations for students with disabilities and what is impacting non-participation in state assessments.
- Transition and post-secondary opportunities for all students, in particular, students with more mild disabilities and/or those who are more high functioning. Panel would also like to address including outside agencies in transition planning and issues surrounding graduation rates and extending cohorts in reporting.
- Early intervention and early identification of at risk students, including coordinating early intervention services. This will be connected to previous priority areas examining youth in custody and transition as well as collaboration.
Advisory Panel (2015-2016)
State Advisory Panel (SAP):
USEAP Nomination Form
New Member Information
A Primer for Recruiting New Members
A Primer for State Special Education Advisory (SEA) Panel Members and SEA Staff
Panel Member and Information Guide
Providing Public Input: E-mail, Written, Verbal
Revised July 2013
Assistive Technology (AT)
Least Restrictive Behavior Interventions (LRBI)
R277-752 Adult Students with Disabilities and Informed Consent
Resource Information Regarding AT
School Guidance Counselors Access
Standards-Based Individualized Education Program (IEP)
Utah Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (UMTSS)
State Advisory Panel:
State Advisory Panel and Interagency Coordinating Council (ICC):