Work-Based Learning Manual - Educator Internships
The most effective way of learning skills is “in context” placing learning
objectives within a real environment…
– SCANS Executive Summary Report, 1992
Work-Based Learning Manual Activities
-Liability Exposure - Unpaid
-Liability Exposure - Paid
-School Supervisor Responsibilities
This experience provides the opportunity for an educator to make a connection with his/her classroom curriculum the world of work. Developed out of the need to enable schools to better prepare students for an understanding of the connection between classroom instruction and the work of work, K-12 educators are invited to participate in a summer work experience called an educator internship/teachers in business (TIB). Successful applicants are required to secure a training site for herself/himself or secure a site with the help of the school's Work-Based Learning coordinator. The educator is expected to work in a typical job and be a productive employee during the experience.
- Provide educators with Work-Based Learning experiences to better understand what employers are requiring of new employees in terms of the specific subject they teach particularly focusing upon academic and technical skill requirements
- Expose each educator to the work place environment to enable them to better prepare their students to meet job-site expectations in terms of non-technical (SCANS) skills
- Enable the educator to more effectively develop instructional activities for use in classrooms, shops and labs
- Provide educators with valuable contacts in the business/industrial community
LIABILITY EXPOSURE - UNPAID
Work site liability is the responsibility of the respective school district in an unpaid experience.
LIABILITY EXPOSURE - PAID
In paid work experiences, the teacher is hired by the employer. Utah state law indicates that in such cases, educators are considered regular employees and are covered by the employer's worker's compensation insurance.
- Make initial contact with the business where the proposed internship will occur
- Submit application to appropriate person
- Complete required forms, lesson plans, connecting activities, etc.
- Work with Work-Based Learning coordinator to choose sites and complete assignments
- Attend required inservice classes
- Complete all required internship hours
- Assure that no employee is replaced by the educator being employed
- Treat educator as best as possible as a regular employee
- Expect educator to be a productive employee
- Help educator understand the abilities, attitudes and skills expected of employees
- Designate individual to be a contact person
SCHOOL SUPERVISOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help find business placements
- Review required activities, forms, lesson plans, etc.
- Conduct necessary pre/post activities or classes when assigned
January 22, 2010