The occupational experience requirement may be waived by the appropriate USOE CTE education specialist if the applicant has passed a state-approved competency examination in the respective field at or above the USOE established cut-off scores.
The National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) is a provider of occupational competency assessments used in Utah to evaluate an instructor’s competence in a content area. These assessments are used in-lieu of work experience when an individual is applying for a teaching license. The assessments are broken into two parts: 1) a written and 2) a performance. The written assessment consists of roughly 180 multiple-choice questions with a three-hour time limit to complete the assessment. The performance assessment varies in the number of tasks and length of time allotted to complete them. Costs to take the assessment come in at roughly $350.00 with variation resultant to the particular test being taken. Feel free to ask about the exact cost when you make your arrangements for taking the exam.
You can access the NOCTI Web site at www.NOCTI.org. Once on the NOCTI Web site, follow these steps:
- Click the Area Test Centers (Teacher Testing) link.
- Click the Assessment Blueprints link.
- Click the Assessment Blueprint Listings link shown at the bottom of the page.
- Select the letter that corresponds with the first letter of the test information you want to view. You can scroll down through the information to know the standards and what percentage of each standard will be tested.
To arrange to take an assessment in Utah, you will need to contact TBA at Utah State University. TBA will order the assessment and work with you to establish a date, time, location, and a test administrator. After the assessment is completed, TBA will return the exam to NOCTI for scoring. He/she will receive the scores and notify the Utah State Office of Education of the results. The Utah State Office of Education will notify you of the results and if you are successful in receiving a passing score, you will be given an application to apply for a license/endorsement.
Utah State University
6000 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-6000
435>734-9958 ext. 286
Fees for NOCTI exams include:
- Written Exam $100.00
- Practical Exam $125.00
- Proctor Fee Cost Dependant Upon Type of Examination
- Site Administration Cost Dependant Upon Type of Examination
Utah Photography Teacher Exam
National or State Occupational Competency Examinations
Saturday, October 27, 2012
Springville High School
1205 East 900 South
Springville, UT 84663
8:00 am-5:00 pm (2.5 Hour Written Exam and 4 Hour Performance Exam)
Information Coming Soon
-UPTE Exam Announcement - Word | PDF
-UPTE Exam Registration Form - Word | PDF
-UPTE Exam Breakdown - Word | PDF
There are national and state competency assessments used in-lieu of occupational experience. Some of these exams are tied to national or state accreditations. These assessments are administered through their individual organizations or government entities. The cost will vary. Please review the respective exam's Web site of further information on cost, examination site, and dates of availability.
Other certificates/licenses are required in specific program areas and they include:
Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification
- Master ASE Certification in Automotive Service
- Master ASE Certification in Automotive Autobody
- Master ASE Certification in Medium/Heavy Duty Truck
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
American Welding Society (AWS)
- Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) Inspector License for Aviation Maintenance
- Commercial Aircraft Pilot and Flight Instructor
- Certified Welding Educator
- Certified Welding Inspector
Utah State Department of Commerce
Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL)
- Construction Licensing
- Cosmetology Licensing
Program Areas Below Require a License and an Instructor License
October 2, 2012