Health Science Education prepares students for employment and/or continuing education opportunities in healthcare through technical instruction in the classroom, experiential education in the laboratory, work-based learning opportunities at clinical settings, and leadership skills through Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA).
Health Science Education Flyer
Health Science Education Pathways
The Utah Health Science Education Pathways are based on the national healthcare skills standards and national health science career cluster pathways. Through health science courses students can gain an important foundation of knowledge and skills necessary for continued education in health sciences.
Healthcare is one of the largest and fastest-growing industries in the United States, employing over 14 million workers in more than 200 careers. The explosion of technology in healthcare and an unprecedented aging population contribute to the national healthcare workforce shortage. The U.S. will need 5.6 million more health care workers by the year 2020.
Below are the ten Pathways in Health Science Education:
Biotech Research & Development
Clinical Laboratory and Medical Forensics
Medical Office Administrative Assistant
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Student Leadership Organization
HOSA: Future Healthcare Professionals is the student organization for Health Science Education. HOSA is involved in leadership development, career training, and service projects. The primary focus of HOSA is to increase opportunities in healthcare careers and enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people. HOSA provides students with opportunities to attain the knowledge, skills, and leadership characteristics necessary to succeed in a health care profession, through leadership training, career training, and service projects.
- Nationally there are over 165,822 members in 3,785 chapters.
- Like national HOSA members on Facebook.
- Follow national HOSA members on Twitter.
- National HOSA, hosa.org.
- Utah has 4,145 HOSA members in 89 chapters.
- Like Utah HOSA members on Facebook.
- Follow Utah HOSA members on Twitter.
- Utah Hosa, UTHOSA.org.
The national and state HOSA service project for 2014-2015 is the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
In 2014, Utah had more than 200 student members participate in competitive events at the HOSA National Leadership Conference in Orlando, Florida. Thirty-five secondary Utah HOSA student members placed in the top ten nationally in a variety of healthcare-related competitions.
Area Health Education Centers
Area Health Education Centers (AHEC)
Youth Programs provide services to schools and students in rural and urban medically underserved areas. Services are focused on motivating students to pursue careers in healthcare.
Career Preparation/Economic Development
Health Science Education is a program that motivates and prepares students for pursuit of a healthcare profession. The program is based on:
- Employment needs of the healthcare community.
- National Healthcare Skill Standards.
- Individual needs of students.
- Healthcare leadership and technical skills.
- Postsecondary education requirements.
Utah’s educational programs provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills for health care career opportunities in many diverse settings.
- Last year, 9,076 students were awarded a CTE Skill Certificate in Health Science, indicating a high level of performance.
- Last year, students earned the following industry certificates: 1,202 as a Certified Nursing Assistant, 90 as an Emergency Medical Technician, 68 as a Pharmacy Technician, and 8 as a Surgical Technician.
- 40 from CTE Scholarship Program
- 4 from Utah Hospital Association
- 3 from Intermountain Healthcare
- 3 from the Richard McDermott Charitable Foundation
- 2 from HOSA
- 1 from ARUP
- 1 from Army/ROTC
- 1 from Noodles & Company
State and Local Partnerships
- ARUP Laboratories
- American Heart Association
- American Red Cross
- Iasis Healthcare
- Intermountain Healthcare
- Medical Reserve Corps
- MountainStar Healthcare
- National Safety Council
- University of Utah Health Care
- Utah Area Health Education Centers
- Utah Department of Health
- Utah Hospital Association
- Utah Medical Education Council
- Utah Nurse Aide Registry
Our vision is to provide awareness and exploration experiences that motivate students to pursue a profession in healthcare. Once students are motivated, it is our intent to prepare students for continued education and/or employment opportunities in healthcare.