Frequently Asked Questions
CTE Intro students discover how “core subjects” in school – language arts, math, social studies, and science – are essential to success, no matter which career field they choose.
Frequently Asked Questions
- WHAT IS CTE INTRO?
CTE Intro is a program that allows a student to develop beginning skills by exploring careers through activity-centered lessons to utilize technology. CTE Intro provides information regarding future classes and training related to a student's career field of interest.
- WHO IS CTE INTRO FOR?
CTE Intro is for middle/junior high school seventh grade students. Over 35,000 seventh graders currently participate in CTE Intro as part of their middle/junior high school experience.
- WHERE IS CTE INTRO TAUGHT?
CTE Intro is taught in all 141 middle/junior high schools throughout the state of Utah.
- WHY DOES A STUDENT NEED TO TAKE CTE INTRO?
CTE Intro broadens a student's scope of learning and assists him or her in developing social, technical, and academic skills that will be beneficial throughout his or her life.
- WHAT DOES CTE INTRO TEACH, AND WHAT DOES A STUDENT LEARN?
Through activity-centered lessons, students are exposed to Career and Technical Education areas of study, which include the following:
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Health Science
- Information Technology
- Skilled and Technical Sciences
- Technology and Engineering
CTE Intro is designed to help a student learn more about himself or herself and more about the world of work. Through CTE Intro, a student will have many opportunities to get his or her hands on real work tasks, assessing personal characteristics and learning how his or her characteristics support occupational choices. A student will explore occupations grouped by career fields. These career fields include concepts in agriculture, health science, marketing, information technology, and economics, which are integrated into business, family and consumer sciences, and technology and engineering education curricula.
- HOW DOES CTE INTRO BENEFIT A STUDENT?
CTE Intro students develop skills that apply to every aspect of life, such as:
- How to work in a team (interpersonal and teamwork skills).
- How to positively encourage a team member (motivation and leadership skills).
- How to put together a report and/or presentation in a manner that is understandable to the group (organization, planning, communication, and time management skills).
- How to find a solution to a dilemma (problem-solving skills).
- How choices and decisions affect a business or group (business ethics and personal responsibility).
January 22, 2010