USOE Home » Licensing » Out-of-State (OOS) License

Out-of-State (OOS) License Review

Application Process

If you have a standard renewable educator license from another state and would like to apply for a Utah Educator License, please read the following step by step instructions to prepare your OOS application packet.

1. Complete and sign the Application Form.

2. Application Fee $75. Make check or money order payable to the Utah State Board of Education (USBE). 

3. Complete a USBE Fingerprint Background Check at Educator Licensing Online. Fee is $40. Background checks done in other states or for a local education agency (LEA) are not accepted.

4. To obtain your Comprehensive Administration of Credentials for Teachers in Utah Schools (CACTUS) number, please call Educator Licensing at (801) 538-7740, 24 hours after initiating a background check.

5. Complete appropriate Endorsement Application(s) for Secondary Education, Special Education, and Career and Technical Education (CTE) License Areas (no additional fee required). For World Languages, an oral fluency test - also known as an oral proficiency interview (OPI) - is required; see World Languages endorsement application for details.

6. Pass appropriate Praxis II Content Test. For a list of tests for Utah review the Utah State Licensure Praxis II Test Requirements.

7. Complete an Educator Ethics Review at Educator Licensing Online.

8. Submit original transcripts of all colleges/universities you have attended with your application packet. USBE will accept electronic transcripts only if they are sent directly from the college/university through a transcript clearinghouse via Please make a note on the application that transcripts have been sent electronically to USBE.

9. Complete and submit the USBE Verification of Educator Experience form, if applicable. Forms must show all former employment and be signed by an official school or district administrator. USOE requires verification of actual Out-of-State full-time educator experience.

10. Include originals or clear copies of the front and back of all current educator license(s) that have ever been issued to you. If your license(s) is expired, include a completed Verification of Professional Certification and a copy of the expired license(s). If your state does not print licenses, but only provides electronic records of your license, please print and include this verification. Utah no longer accepts Institutional Recommendations from Out-of-State institutions.

11. If you completed an Alternative Educator Program, you must include official documentation of an alternative educator program completion and an official program description including class descriptions. This evidence will be considered in lieu of a traditional course of study from a teacher-preparation program.

12. Additional Documentation:

  • Administrative/Supervisory K-12
    Include official documentation of successful completion of an administrative internship in both elementary and secondary school levels including total number of hours completed, and verification of teaching and school administrative experience, if applicable.
  • School Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP)
    Include with your application either your School SLP Out-of-State License or your American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC). A Praxis II Content Test is not required.