License Requirements

Initial Licensure - Foreign Credentialed-Educator

Thank you for your interest in obtaining a Utah Professional Educator License. We welcome the diverse skills and talents teachers from around the world bring to Utah classrooms.

If you have been a licensed teacher in another country, here is the process to follow to apply for a Utah license. If you have never been a teacher, but are interested in becoming a teacher, please refer to the Alternative Routes to Licensure section for more information.

Step 1
English Language Proficiency

If English is not the primary language spoken in your country of origin, we will need to have verification of your English proficiency. You may schedule an Oral Proficiency Interview with Language Testing International (LTI). Utah currently only accepts the Certified ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI).

An applicant must attain a level of Advanced Medium to pass the English Language Proficiency benchmark. Your OPI passing score cannot be more than five years old.

Step 2
Foreign Credential Evaluation

Send your academic records for a transcript evaluation to a Foreign Credential Evaluation Service. We accept evaluations completed by services accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). You will need to request a course-by-course report with a statement of U.S. equivalency. They will send your evaluation back to you, and you will include it as part of your complete application packet. Your credentials must be equivalent to a bachelor's degree in an education program or a program that leads to teacher licensure from a United States institution of higher education.

Step 3
Register for a PRAXIS Assessment

Apply for the PRAXIS assessment required for your teaching area. Print out the PRAXIS admission ticket for inclusion in your application packet.

Step 4
Background Check

Click here to complete the background process.

Step 5

Submit the following items to Educator Quality Licensing:

  • Application for Evaluation
  • A $75.00 Filing Fee. Make the check or money order payable to Utah State Board of Education (USBE).
  • All required documentation, including:
    • Verification of Teaching Experience
      Please have your previous employer(s) complete and return this form to you. You may copy the form if necessary. Teaching & Learning - Licensing will also accept letters of verification (with dates of employment included) from former employers. These documents must also be translated into English.
    • Credential Evaluation Report
    • Copy of admission ticket for PRAXIS or score results
    • English Language Proficiency results, if applicable.

Submit the application to the address on the application.

USBE Licensing
250 East 500 South
PO Box 144200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4200