Returning Educator Re-licensure Program
This program allows educators with an expired license to return to teaching while completing requirements to fully renew their license.
Phase 1: Qualifications
1. Educator must be considered inactive in Utah.
2. License must be expired at least one school year.
3. Complete a USOE Fingerprint Background Check at Educator Licensing Online. Fee is $40.
4. Complete an Educator Ethics Review at Educator Licensing Online.
5. Position Requirement: obtain contract position with a Utah local education agency (LEA). Assignment must be posted in CACTUS.
Phase 2: Plan and Application
1. Educator and Principal/Director jointly complete Return to Licensure Application (part 1 of 2). Professional Learning Plan must be outlined on application: see Examples. Please retain a copy of this plan to review periodically with principal/director.
2. Educator submits application to Utah State Office of Education (USOE) within 30 days of hire. Fee is $35.
3. No professional learning points are required for this renewal program.
4. For Level 1 Licensed Educators: upon completion of this program your license is subject to the EYE upgrade requirements for Level 2 license.
5. Educator will receive an email indicating that the application and plan have been approved
6. All educators participating in this program are issued a temporary "Level 1-Returning" license by USOE. Upon completion of the program, the educator's original license level is reinstated.
Phase 3: Work Toward Plan Goals
1. Throughout the school year, educator works to complete plan goals as outlined with principal/director (including exams, if applicable).
Phase 4: Plan Completion and Re-licensure
1. Educator reviews goal completion* and completes the Return to Licensure Renewal Application (part 2 of 2) with principal/director to obtain all appropriate signatures.
2. Submit renewal application and fee to USOE prior to June 30. Fee is $15.
* If an educator fails to complete this program, or does not submit the Renewal application prior to the deadline, they will need to complete a regular license renewal with appropriate points.
For questions, please contact Educator Licensing at (801) 538-7740.