A Dual Immersion endorsement is required to teach in any 50/50 Dual Immersion program in Utah public schools grades 1-6.
- University - Complete an approved Utah institution of higher education program for a Dual Immersion endorsement. (see application for details)
- Out-of-State Credentials - Have an approved out of state credential to teach in a Dual Immersion, Dual Language, or Immersion program. (see application for details)
- USOE PD (only available until September 1, 2013) - Complete the approved Utah Dual Immersion PD program. (see application for details)
To apply for a Dual Immersion endorsement you must already have a Level 1, Level 2, or Level 3 License with an Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary, or Special Education Area of Concentration.
A minimum current speaking proficiency rating of Advanced Mid for the immersion (e.g. Chinese, French, Spanish) language is required. The Utah State Office of Education has approved for the speaking proficiency rating either the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) oral proficiency interview (OPI) or the Utah Foreign Language Association (UFLA) language proficiency certification. Please see links below for more information.
Candidates who are currently assigned to teach in a Dual Immersion program and have at least six semester hours of applicable credit (3000 or above) qualify for a State-Approved Endorsement Program (SAEP) which enables them to teach while completing endorsement requirements. The initial SAEP authorization expires on Sept. 30 of the second full year of authorization. With documentation of sufficient progress, the eligibility may be renewed for one or two more years. While in the SAEP, the teacher meets state requirements for professional staff cost (WPU) but not NCLB "highly qualified" definition.
The Utah Foreign Language Association (UFLA) provides an language proficiency certification rating for most languages taught in Utah schools.
The Language Testing International (LTI) American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) provides an oral proficiency interview rating for 48 languages.
Complete the following:
1. Dual Immersion Endorsement Application.
2. On the endorsement form, mark the boxes with an "X" to indicate that the minimum requirement in each area has been met.
3. Attach your original transcript(s), and highlight corresponding classes.
For more information, please contact gregg [dot] roberts [at] schools [dot] utah [dot] gov (Gregg Roberts), World Language Specialist, (801) 538-7743.
Send the highlighted transcript, $45 processing fee, and completed application to:
Utah State Office of Education
Teaching and Learning - Endorsements
250 East 500 South
PO Box 144200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4200