Endorsements and Early Childhood Education (ECE) License Area
A Distance Learning Endorsement will be added to a license provided that the educator has met the following:
[ ] 1. A Utah Professional Educator License with Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary or Applied Technology areas of concentration for teaching in any grades K-12.
[ ] 2. A specialized professional preparation from an accredited college or university consisting of 16 semester hours in the area of distance/technology education. The 16 hours shall consist of:
- A. An Introduction to Distance Learning. Examines the definition, scope, and context of distance education especially as it relates to K-12 environments. Also explores the philosophical and theoretical foundations, historical development, and current trends in distance education
- B. Technologies and Tools for Distance Learning. Explores the range of delivery systems and models. Participants learn to use a variety of tools such as hypermedia, hypertext, and multimedia, and computer conferencing software for remotely accessing information, creating visuals, and developing distance learning materials.
- C. Learning and Teaching at a Distance. Focuses on the issues of learning and teaching at a distance. Participants study the needs of distant learners and develop strategies of effective practice for supporting and facilitating learning at a distance.
- D. Developing Distance Instruction. Explores models and approaches to distance instruction. Participants apply a systems model in designing, developing and evaluating instruction for distant learners. A practicum covering classroom or online distance learning techniques (utilizing any current distance learning technology) shall be included.
[ ] 3. Successfully participated in an Distance Education Faculty Training Workshop conducted by the Utah State Office of Education and the Utah Education Network. (20 hours, including hands-on technical training and a 10 minute mini-lesson taught over Utah's Distance Education system), within the least three years.
Complete the following:
1. Distance Learning Endorsement Application
2. On the endorsement form, mark the boxes with an "X" to indicate that the minimum requirement in each area has been met.
3. Attach your original transcript(s), and highlight corresponding classes.
4. Attach a copy of your Distance Education Faculty Training Certificate - issued by the Utah State Office of Education (USOE).
For more information, please contact kathy [dot] webb [at] schools [dot] utah [dot] gov (Kathy Webb), Education Technology Coordinator, at (801) 538-7564.
Send the highlighted transcript, $25 processing fee, and completed application to:
Utah State Office of Education
Teaching and Learning - Endorsements
250 East 500 South
PO Box 144200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4200