A Distance Learning Endorsement will be added to a license provided that the educator has met the following:
[ ] 1. A Utah Professional Educator License with Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary or Applied Technology areas of concentration for teaching in any grades K-12.
[ ] 2. A specialized professional preparation from an accredited college or university consisting of 16 semester hours in the area of distance/technology education. The 16 hours shall consist of:
- A. An Introduction to Distance Learning. Examines the definition, scope, and context of distance education especially as it relates to K-12 environments. Also explores the philosophical and theoretical foundations, historical development, and current trends in distance education
- B. Technologies and Tools for Distance Learning. Explores the range of delivery systems and models. Participants learn to use a variety of tools such as hypermedia, hypertext, and multimedia, and computer conferencing software for remotely accessing information, creating visuals, and developing distance learning materials.
- C. Learning and Teaching at a Distance. Focuses on the issues of learning and teaching at a distance. Participants study the needs of distant learners and develop strategies of effective practice for supporting and facilitating learning at a distance.
- D. Developing Distance Instruction. Explores models and approaches to distance instruction. Participants apply a systems model in designing, developing and evaluating instruction for distant learners. A practicum covering classroom or online distance learning techniques (utilizing any current distance learning technology) shall be included.
[ ] 3. Successfully participated in an Distance Education Faculty Training Workshop conducted by the Utah State Office of Education and the Utah Education Network. (20 hours, including hands-on technical training and a 10 minute mini-lesson taught over Utah's Distance Education system), within the least three years.
Complete the following:
- Distance Learning Endorsement Application
- On the endorsement form, mark the boxes with an "X" to indicate that the minimum requirement in each area has been met.
- Attach your original transcript(s), and highlight corresponding classes.
- Attach a copy of your Distance Education Faculty Training Certificate - issued by the USOE.
For more information, please contact kathy [dot] webb [at] schools [dot] utah [dot] gov (Kathy Webb), Education Technology Coordinator, (801) 538-7564.
Send the highlighted transcript, $45 processing fee, and completed application to:
Utah State Office of Education
Teaching and Learning - Endorsements
250 East 500 South
P O Box 144200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4200