Alternative Routes to Licensure


Eligibility Requirements for an Elementary Education License or Special Education License

Eligibility Requirements for a Secondary Education License
Middle School, Junior High School, or High School

To be admitted to Alternative Routes to Licensure (ARL) a candidate must:

Hold a Bachelors Degree from a regionally accredited university. Alternative Routes to Licensure only accepts degrees and transcripts from institutions of higher education who have been accredited by the following organizations:

  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges: Senior College Commission
  • TEAC

Individuals who are currently enrolled in a university teacher licensure program are not eligible for ARL. Fees submitted by individuals who are enrolled or who will enroll in a university teacher licensure program cannot be refunded.  Individuals who are teaching at State Applied Technology Colleges are not required to have teaching licenses and are not eligible to participate in the ARL program.

Foreign Transcripts and English Language Proficiency
If your degree or coursework is from foreign transcripts, you must have a Foreign Credential Evaluation done before applying to ARL. You will need to request a “course-by-course” and “degree” report with a statement of U.S. equivalency, and if English is not the primary language spoken in your country of origin, we will need to have verification of your English proficiency. You may schedule an Oral Proficiency Interview with Language Testing International (LTI). An applicant must attain a level of Advanced Low to pass the English Language Proficiency benchmark.