Utah Board of Education Rule.
A. The Board shall establish a Core Curriculum for middle school education.
B. Students in grades 7-8 shall earn a minimum of 12 units of credit to be properly prepared for instruction in grades 9-12.
C. Local boards may require additional units of credit.
D. Grades 7-8 Core Curriculum Requirements and units of credit.
1. General Core (10.5 units of credit)
- a. Language Arts (2.0 units of credit);
- b. Mathematics (2.0 units of credit);
- c. Science (1.5 units of credit);
- d. Social Studies (1.5 units of credit);
- e. The Arts (1.0 units of credit):
- (i) Visual Arts;
- (ii) Music;
- (iii) Dance;
- (iv) Theatre.
- f. Physical Education (1.0 units of credit);
- g. Health Education (0.5 units of credit);
- h. Career and Technical Education, Life, and Careers (1.0 units of credit);
- i. Educational Technology (credit optional);
- j. Library Media (integrated into subject areas).
E. Board-approved CRT's shall be used to assess student mastery of the following:
- Language arts;
- Mathematics; and
- Science in grades 7 and 8.
F. Norm-referenced tests shall be given to all middle school students in grade 8.