Education Requirements - Middle School
Utah Administrative Code Rules
Middle School Education Requirements
A. The Board shall establish a Core Curriculum for middle school education.
B. Students in grades 7-8 shall earn a minimum of 12 units of credit to be properly prepared for instruction in grades 9-12.
C. Local boards may require additional units of credit.
D. Grades 7-8 Core Curriculum requirements and units of credit:
- General Core (10.5 units of credit):
- a. Language Arts (2.0 units of credit);
- b. Mathematics (2.0 units of credit);
- c. Science (2.0 units of credit);
- d. Social Studies (1.5 units of credit);
- e. The Arts (1.0 units of credit):
- i. Visual Arts;
- ii. Music;
- iii. Dance;
- iv. Theatre.
- f. Physical Education (1.0 units of credit);
- g. Health Education (0.5 units of credit);
- h. Career and Technical Education, Life, and Careers (1.0 units of credit);
- i. Educational Technology (credit optional);
- j. Library Media (integrated into subject areas).
E. Norm-referenced tests shall be given to all middle school students in grade 8.