USOE Home » Gifted and Talented » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How are students nominated for possible gifted program placement?

For specific information on the nomination procedures (e.g., forms to be completed, schedule for testing, etc.), parents and educators should contact the gifted program coordinator in the local school district.

2. If a student has been identified as gifted in another state, will he/she be eligible for gifted program placement in Utah?

There is no reciprocal eligibility from state to state, each state establishes its own definition of giftedness and its own rules governing gifted education services. However, many states' definitions are similar, so we hope to be able to establish transferring students’ eligibility for gifted program placement here in Utah with little or no additional testing. The most expedient way to nominate an out-of-state transfer for possible gifted program placement is to collect all assessment data and present those assessment results to the gifted program teacher at the student’s new school or to the district's gifted program coordinator at the time of registration. Helpful documents might include: original eligibility reports, recent standardized test scores, work samples, and recommendations from current teachers. Gifted program personnel in the receiving school system can then evaluate the types of tests that were given, the dates of those tests, etc., and determine what additional testing (if any) may be required to determine eligibility under the district guidelines. By providing that information at the time of registration, parents can avoid possible delays in getting gifted students appropriately placed.

3. What special programs are offered for gifted students?

The Utah State Board of Education (USBE) requires and authorizes each local district to develop curriculum for their gifted students in grades K-12, following the guidelines in Utah State Office of Education (USOE) Rule R277-711-3. To find out more about specific program offerings for gifted students, parents and educators should contact the gifted program coordinator in the local school system. Many local school districts also have their own web pages linked to the USOE page. These sites may be a good way to learn about specific programs of interest. For example, some districts offer magnet programs for gifted and talented students; some offer the International Baccalaureate curriculum and diploma program.

4. What are the certification requirements for a teacher of gifted students?

The minimum requirement for a Gifted and Talented endorsement is an educator license, teaching experience, and a minimum of 16 hours of approved university coursework. Teachers of gifted students must meet the training requirements described in the Gifted Education Endorsement which may be added to a professional teaching certificate by successfully completing a program of study that has been approved by the USOE.