What Are CTE Pathways?
A CTE Pathway is a method of searching for a career that fits a student’s interests and lifestyle, and allows him or her to build academic courses around it. Pathways ensure that students will be prepared to take advantage of the full range of postsecondary options, including on-the-job training, certification programs, and two- and four-year college degrees.
In Utah, there are over 50 Pathways within seven Areas of Study.
Top 5 Reasons Why Students Should Participate in a CTE Pathway
- Technical Skills Training
- Jump-start Future Career
- Hands-on Learning
- College Credit
- Save Time and Money
Career and Technical Education reduces the workforce gap by providing long-term job education and skills training for students, enabling them to reach their full potential. Studies reveal a strong correlation between education/technical skill levels and continued employment/lifelong earnings.
Participating in a CTE Pathway
- Helps the student learn skills today that will be used tomorrow.
- Brings focus to high school studies.
- Makes the transition from high school to life after high school—college and career—easier.
- Maximizes opportunities for students.
- Increases student awareness of careers, education, and training.
- Aligns training with employer needs.
- Provides strong academic skills and real-world problem-solving skills.
- Strengthens the planning process.
Career and Technical Education encompasses a variety of programs structured to equip students with work and life skills. The curriculum of CTE gives students the practical experience they need to succeed through a combination of classroom instruction, hands-on laboratory work, and on-the-job training. CTE Pathways provides students with technical training to prepare for a successful career. The structured training each student receives gives him or her the tools needed to be successful in a career after high school and/or further his or her postsecondary education, whether technical school, two-year college, or four-year college. Each student is encouraged to explore various Areas of Study and to develop the essential skills to enter today’s competitive job market with confidence.